April 9, 2007

The practice of Simplicity

For the practice of Simplicity of speech, I do it by listening to what people say and understanding their needs. Usually I do not speak out for my opinion. I tend to think too much about how to say it properly and not to offend others. So when I am ready to express myself, people already change subjects.
After the class, I practiced in my bible study small group to contribute more often, but in short sentences. In this way, I make sure that I do not miss out or take up too much time.

Also I skipped a few occasions that I did not explain myself. I just let it go and trust that God who knows the best. In the case that I felt pressed by a demanding friend, I tried to pray till I felt peaceful myself and then I prayed for her. Whenever I felt pressure from her, I prayed and blessed her. I will continue to do so until I can feel free to talk to her without feel tensed.

In the Sunday lunch table, I practice to love the person sitting next to me and then feel free to just be a friend. I express my care and let the other people talk. Lunch time becomes more carefree that I do not need to talk if I do not know what to say.

As to the practice of Frugality in life, I am still adjusting. My friend came from Taiwan and we went to Palm Springs outlet stores. I did not buy too much. But on the way back in Macy’s store, I got several clothes because they were “good prices”. I figured I did not go to the mall for at least 10 months anyway.

After 17 years, I finally got a new car. So I pass for this test. Anyway my 1990 Volvo has only 58,000 miles on the meter. I plan to drive my new car for another 10-15 years, God willing.

I have been cleaning my garage and throw away old stuff. I am in the process of giving away old clothes in the closet. I try to wear the same clothes to go to market or run errands. And I make an effort to give donations to non-profit organizations before each month-end instead of in the year-end.

I try to finish meals in 30 minutes instead of longer time while read morning papers or watching TV. I save more time now to study and catch up with what’s in the to do list.

Overall, my life is more focused and I care more for people and spend less time for myself or accumulate things. One more thing to improve is to let go of good articles and not to clip or keep them. Little by little, my goal of leading a simpler life will be reached some day.
(Jan Johnson Class report)

No comments:

Post a Comment