March 4, 2007

Lectio Divina

I practiced lectio divina in my cell group prayer meeting. I used Ephesians 3: 16-21. It was well received and our group repeats this Four Parts lectio divina the following week.
I found out that male members in our group had hard time to just close the eyes and meditate on the Bible. Both of them had their Bible open and felt more comfortable to read instead of listening to the verses.

I meditated Mark 10:17-22 the Rich Young Man while waiting in the doctor’s office in UCLA. God reminds me that when we are in comfort zone we will take granted for many blessings. When in deep trouble then we will strive hard to find God. Therefore we meet God in our difficulties, not in our comfort.

Verse 21 Jesus said “Go, sell everything you have and give to the poor.” I used to skip it and do not ponder about it. But that morning in the Doctor’s office, I felt that God was telling me a new insight. To give up the ownership of what you have and dedicate them to God is what He is asking. If we do so, we will be free from the pursuit of materialism and the heavy burden came with it. And God will bless us with treasure in heaven!

The Rich Young Man’s encounter with Jesus is a test of faith. We need to establish our value system rooted in the Bible. Whenever the tests come, we will be strong enough to choose God instead of the world. The bond between God and us will depend on our daily walk with Him and our knowledge of His faithfulness and loving-kindness.

In order to inherit eternal life we need to know the love of Christ and follow Him. If we experience His sacrificing love for us, then we have the strength to take up our cross and walk with Him. For we know His Grace will sustain us and keep us safe even in suffering. Love Christ and follow Him for He loves me first!

No comments:

Post a Comment